|About CarolUS Forest Service CabinsSouth Lake Tahoe Real EstateEcho Lake Real EstateEcho Summit HWY 50Kyburz, Silverfork HWY 50Pollock Pines Real EstateStrawberry CA Real EstateStrawberry LodgeTwin Bridges, Desolation WildernessMeyers Lake TahoeSold ListingsStaging Your Tahoe CabinTahoe Aerial Heli TourCamino CA Real EstateCedar Grove, Apple Hill Real Placerville Real EstateRiverton CA Real EstatePacific HouseFallen Leaf Lake ChurchHighway 50 Weather StationSki Lake TahoeSierra Cabins For Rent||
Meyers Lake Tahoe
Meyers Highway 50 Cabins and Real Estate, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Meyers is a familiar location for visitors to Lake Tahoe. Arriving at the Lake Tahoe Basin from the west, Highway 50 passes through this small community characterized by commercial concerns.
Meyers was originally known as Yank’s Station. Many sources identify Yank's as a Pony Express station. In 1859, Ephraim "Yank" Clement and his wife Lydia acquired the station and outbuildings from George Douglas and Martin Smith, who had operated it as a hostelry and stage stop. The Clements enlarged the hotel into a three-story, fourteen-room way station, accompanied by an enormous barn and large corrals across the road. The new facility thrived along with neighboring establishments, such as saloons, a general store, blacksmith shop, cooperage, and meat-processing facilities. In 1873, the Clements sold their properties to George Meyers and the location became known as Meyers.
For decades, the site prospered. The hotel and store burned during the Meyers town fire of November 25, 1938. Today a California Registered Historical Landmark marker identifies the original station site. It reads:
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage stop operated by Ephraim "Yank" Clement on the Placerville-Carson Road. Pony riders Warren Upson first arrived here on the evening of April 28, 1860. Changing ponies, he galloped on to Friday's in Nevada to deliver his mochila to Bob Haslam for the ride to Genoa. Used as a Pony remount station until October 26, 1861, it was sold to George D.H. Meyers in 1873 and the name changed to Meyers.
Today, Meyers also features a California Agricultural Inspection Station. This “Bug Station” is a familiar site to Lake Tahoe visitors and local residents.
Search All Meyers Highway 50 Cabins and Real Estate For Sale: