|About CarolUS Forest Service CabinsSouth Lake Tahoe Real EstateEcho Lake Real EstateEcho Summit HWY 50Kyburz, Silverfork HWY 50Pollock Pines Real EstateStrawberry CA Real EstateStrawberry LodgeTwin Bridges, Desolation WildernessMeyers Lake TahoeSold ListingsStaging Your Tahoe CabinTahoe Aerial Heli TourCamino CA Real EstateCedar Grove, Apple Hill Real Placerville Real EstateRiverton CA Real EstatePacific HouseFallen Leaf Lake ChurchHighway 50 Weather StationSki Lake TahoeSierra Cabins For Rent||
US Forest Service Cabins
Important Real Estate Information about Tahoe USFS Cabins:
US Forest Service Cabins on Highway 50 consist of approximatly 1400 cabins.
1) The land is owned by the United States Forest Service.
2) The Cabin is sold with a Bill of Sale with cash.
3) Some purchasers re-finance their primary residence or use a line of credit.
4) The IRS recognizes these as Capital Assets, like a car or a boat.
5) Banks do not loan on these types of properties (no title deed!).
6) The El Dorado County Tax Assessor charges 1.25% of purchase price.
7) You can obtain insurance but is not mandatory. The best source is your primary carrier to add the cabin to your existing policy. Hunting for insurance in California these days is a challenge. We may be able to help, i.e., ask current owner’s carrier may carry policy for new owner or refer companies that have recently written policies for other USFS cabin purchasers.
8) It is rare that a USFS cabin has year round use of the water system. Most tracts do not have water when the danger of freeze is upon us and systems are not turned on again until the danger of freeze has passed. Typical use is Mother’s Day to Halloween. Lower elevation cabins (4,000 ft) may have a longer season; it’s up to the cabin owners to decide when to turn off and when to turn on.
9) Roads to the cabins are not plowed from snow. You can snow shoe, cross country ski or snowmobile in from the main road. Be careful it’s not a snow removal day, because Cal Trans may bury your car if left unattended!
10) Currently the Highway 50 Corridor has 20 year term permits; today we are in the 7th year of the new 20. Some cabins have conditional permits until certain criteria have been met. Annual fees range from $400.00 to $3,500.00 or more depending on the location and based on appraisals performed by USFS.
11) Contact the USFS Ranger Office for a copy of the Guidelines for Summer Residences Handbook (530) 644-6048 or use their website http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/recres/
12) Escrow services are utilized approximately $400 for each a buyer and a seller and a UCC Search is performed through the Secretary of State, $50.00 for each name search.
50 Cabins plans to shoot aerial photographs of the American River Canyon on Highway 50 leading into Lake Tahoe.
Search All Highway 50 Corridor Cabins and Real Estate For Sale: